Writing Lesson of the Month Network

...sharing thoughtful, mentor text-inspired lessons your students will love!

I heard this George Strait song on the radio this morning and thought....what great lyrics to discuss and to use as a writing prompt.  The chorus reads,

"But life's not the breath you take
The breathing in and out
That gets you through the day
Ain't what it's all about
You just might miss the point
Trying to win the race
Life's not the breaths you take
But the moments that take your breath away.."

Doesn't that just make you want to talk about the moments that take your breath away? :-)

Views: 486

Replies to This Discussion

I love this! I am going to use it for Narrative writing inspiration.
I would love to hear how your lesson went!

You could use the quote,  "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breaths away" as a bell ringer.  Have it on the board when the students come in.  Give them 5 minutes to respond.  Play the song and give them an additional 5 minutes to respond.  Discuss 

Have students discuss the difference between how hearing the lyrics stirred emotions-the power of music.  If given a prompt in the future encourage students to try to relate it to something they have heard or seen before, maybe even in a song.

I have a lengthy list of student appropriate songs reflecting friendships, self - improvement,  and world unity.  Writing reflections can be as detailed as necessary with  interpretations personal connections or connections to the world.  I lift my lyrics off the internet and give students a full version.  First students listen to the song without the lyrics, discuss what they hear and then discuss again after reading lyrics while listening.  Then students write after listening twice.    I will list song suggestions that I have been successful with in another post. 

mary parks said:

You could use the quote,  "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breaths away" as a bell ringer.  Have it on the board when the students come in.  Give them 5 minutes to respond.  Play the song and give them an additional 5 minutes to respond.  Discuss 

Have students discuss the difference between how hearing the lyrics stirred emotions-the power of music.  If given a prompt in the future encourage students to try to relate it to something they have heard or seen before, maybe even in a song.

Janet Merin said:

I have a lengthy list of student appropriate songs reflecting friendships, self - improvement,  and world unity.  Writing reflections can be as detailed as necessary with  interpretations personal connections or connections to the world.  I lift my lyrics off the internet and give students a full version.  First students listen to the song without the lyrics, discuss what they hear and then discuss again after reading lyrics while listening.  Then students write after listening twice.    I will list song suggestions that I have been successful with in another post. 

mary parks said:

Janet,

Besides teaching writing I also teach music in several schools.  I know what a great song can do to inspire thoughts and ideas.  I would love to see your list of songs!!!

I would love a copy  of the list...using a song this coming week to identify pronouns...had to take the word kiss and sexy out to make it appropriate.

I 2nd that request!! I teach music/chorus/songwriting/composing to elementary students.  Would love your song list!

Rebecca Riveros said:

Janet Merin said:

mary parks said:

Janet,

Besides teaching writing I also teach music in several schools.  I know what a great song can do to inspire thoughts and ideas.  I would love to see your list of songs!!!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Corbett Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service