Writing Lesson of the Month Network

...sharing thoughtful, mentor text-inspired lessons your students will love!

"Paint a picture on your reader's mind" is an interesting instruction for young writers.  Maybe a little abstract for them, especially if you don't demonstrate what that looks like with supportive lessons and models.   How do you solidify this abstract idea in young writer's mind? 

Our Crazy Animal Game for Kids Word Prompt and our Setting Game for Kids Word Prompt are both really popular at WritingFix, especially with the little guys.  We're trying to improve the prompt by adding teacher-submitted ideas for teaching great detail selection that teachers can use before students work on a draft inspired by the word games we've featured.

If you have a clever way you inspire young writers to "paint pictures on their readers' minds," please share it with us in the "Reply to This" box below.  If we end up posting over at the WritingFix site, we will send you a complimentary copy of one of the NNWP Print Guides as our way of saying THANKS for sharing back with our WritingFix Project.

If you don't see the "Reply to this" box below, it's an easy fix.  Simply scroll to the top of this screen and look for the "+Join Primary Writers" link near the uppoer right-hand corner of this page.  Once you click on that, the "Reply to this" box will appear.

Thank you for considering sharing back with our site! 

--Corbett Harrison, WritingFix Webmaster

Views: 398

Replies to This Discussion

I play a riddle game with the children. I set photos from a calendar on the ledge at the front of the class. Each student picks one of the photos to write about [by looking and without anyone else knowing what they chose]. If the class can guess which photo they chose when they read it aloud later, the writer wins. For example, one student might choose the photo of the squirrel and they may write: I am a soft furry animal that likes to scurry around. I make chattery noises when I'm upset. etc...ending with Who am I? We also set critera before we begin writing such as how many details a good writing piece would have for this activity-along with the piece having capitals and periods. We fold the paper in half and they draw the picture of the animal they chose on the inside.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Corbett Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service