Writing Lesson of the Month Network

...sharing thoughtful, mentor text-inspired lessons your students will love!

If you've used our "Same/Theme, Different Story Stories" writing lesson at the WritingFix Website-- (mentor text = Fox by Margaret Wild)

Click here to access this freely shared writing lesson! 

--and you have up to three edited student samples to share with us, you can post them by copying and pasting them from your computer into our "Reply to This" box below; you may also add samples by adding them as uploaded attachments (like Word documents) to the box below.

Very Important:  Please only share your students' first name and grade level with us when you post.  Do not post last names or school names, or the posts will be deleted.

Twenty-five Teachers every semester will win a free classroom resource!  Each semester, we choose 25 new students to publish at our online lessons directly at the world-famous WritingFix website. To have your students' writing considered, it can be posted below in the box underneath  this posting.  In November and May, we will select the 25 students whose writing impressed us the most, and if your student(s) is selected, you will be asked to choose from any of the NNWP Print Publications (http://www.unr.edu/educ/nnwp/publications.html) for us to send to your classroom.

Help us celebrate your writers.

--Corbett Harrison, WritingFix Webmaster

Views: 247

Replies to This Discussion

I used this lesson in my classroom last month, and students really enjoyed it. Here are two great student responses from my seventh graders.

Andra Irwin, teacher

Attachments:
Ashtyn P.
6th Grade

The Long Journey Home

They sat wondering how they were going to cross the river, get over the mountains, and travel through the dark woods, because they were trying to get back to their families. That was a big task for a group of baby animals.

Marly the moose, Gary the grizzly bear, and Willow the wolf had to find their parents, but first they had to cross the gushing, powerful river. Willow and Gary hustled across the river as fast as they could and back onto the uneven rocks, but Marly trembled, "I'm scared." "Take it one step at a time," they cautioned him. His prudence paid off and he finally made it across.

Now, it was time to traverse the mountains that were taller than the ocean is deep. At least that's what they thought. Willow took the lead; the boys ambling behind her. They had to stop once in a while to help Marley out of the snow; his tall clumsy legs were always in the way. Then it was time to go through the dark Aspen woods.

They took the path. "It's dark in here," Gary whined cowardly. He ran back to the sun where he felt safe, "Go on without me," Gary dramatized. Marly and Willow rolled their eyes. They went back and helped him out. After the long walk, they made it out of the woods.

Then they saw their mommies and daddies. They ran yelling as loud as fire trucks to their families. "We had to cross the river, climb the mountains, and even trudge through the dark scary forest," they explained all at once. Well, I think I speak for all of us when I say, "You kids were so brave," they all nodded. "We made it because we all stuck together."

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Corbett Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service