Writing Lesson of the Month Network

...sharing thoughtful, mentor text-inspired lessons your students will love!

Here's a special posting page for teachers who have subscribed to our "Common Core-Friendly Vocabulary & Writing Lessons," which you can read about online at my website:  http://corbettharrison.com/products.html#vocab

Here's an open invitation to teachers using my Vocabulary Collecting resources to photograph and share your students' best "Vocabulary SausageSentences."

As I explain to my wonderful students, a thoughtful "sausage sentence" uses 1) the vocabulary word correctly, 2) makes sense as a sentence, and 3) has an illustration that helps us better understand the sentence.  "Sausage Sentences" aren't easy, but some of my kids really step up to the plate and create some good ones.  I share some of the best below.

If you have an awesome student-submitted "Sausage Sentence," I invite you to post it here in the reply box below.  I hope to create an amazing online collection of Vocabulary-inspired Sausage Sentences from all over the country...and world...with this invitation.  Please share.

If you don't see the "Reply to This" box below this posting, be sure you have clicked on the "+Join Vocabulary Collectors" link in the upper right-hand corner of this screen.  

I look forward to helping you celebrate your writers by having a place to post their sausage sentences.  Please don't post last names, and please don't post any information about your students that might compromise their Internet safety.  THANKS in advance.

Views: 2726

Replies to This Discussion

As sorrow waited, dirges soothed depression's strong grip.

This is a beautiful sausage sentence from 7th grader Travis.  It's not easy to create a good sausage sentence, but when they happen and they're good, you just have to be impressed.

Please note how Travis' simple picture helps us understand the meaning.

Infinitesimal lions stare, envying giant tigers.  

The minimum number of words a sausage sentence can be is six, and 8th grader Hugo has a charming six-word sentence, complete with a participle, which I taught them this year!

Hugo doesn't draw.  He always uses computer art.  I love how he created a tiny lion and a giant tiger with the computer.

Thanks, Hugo.

Their ruefully yelping grapes sounded dreadful, letting Geoff's scared demons skip.

This one comes from 8th grader Jeremy, and it's a perfect example of a sausage sentence that grammatically makes sense, but it's hard to get an image in your head.  The picture--though simplistic--helps the reader out, however, and that's why it's required that they come up with a picture.

Also, note that Jeremy correctly used a participle, which I taught them to do this year.  These small pieces of writing allow them to practice the skills from my mini lessons.

Vindictive, earnest throngs supported democracy, yelling, "Get tyrannical leaders sacked."

Ethan was one of my boy writers who loved the challenge of a sausage sentence, and he became better and better at them as the year progressed.  Ethan mastered the art of using the thesaurus as he wrote them; I can guarantee he used the thesaurus to find the word throng.  

Ethan's use of Mr. Stick to show off his vocabulary with an illustration became better as the year progressed too.  He credits "Calvin & Hobbes" to influencing his artistic style.

No one ever ran near Red Desert, then Nicholas sidled deep past the entrance.

7th grader Cole found the word sidle on page 39 of The Red Pony.  I think he created a great sausage sentence with 14 words in it.  When you start passing 12 words and your sentence makes this much sense, then you know you've found a pretty great word on which to base this sentence challenge.

Thanks, Cole. 

Cynical, Lillian needs Stewart to overdo openhearted discussions, sappy yet thrilling.

8th grader Jacinda took it to heart when I said, "I designed these activities to exercise different areas of your brain.  Try them all." She tries to do a different activity every single time. She tries not to repeat an activity until she's created an example of one of each of the ten activities I offer my students.

Sausage sentences were hard for Jacie, but she was determined.  This was a pretty good example.  I think she learned some of her grammar trick reading Emily Dickinson this year.

Thanks, Jacie.

This was my 7th grader, Lynna's stellar sausage sentence. (I wasn't aware I could be so alliterative.) I like that her sentence really illustrates her understanding of the word's meaning.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Corbett Harrison.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service